The Corners Mansion
ATTRACTIONS OFFICIAL WEBSITE   CONTACT ATTRACTION
TELL A FRIEND
Welcome to The Corners Mansion!
The original house was built in 1872-1873 by John Alexander Klein. Mr. Klein built Cedar Grove next door and owned a 62-acre tract of land on this hillside overlooking the Mississippi that was known as Kleinston Landing. Mr. Klein built this home as a wedding present for his oldest daughter, Susan, and her new husband, Isaac Bonham. (at the age of 16 he had been a courier for Stonewall Jackson in the Battle of Manasses in Virginia). Isaac and Susan had two children, both died at an early age, and then tragedy struck when Isaac was accidentally shot trying to break up a fight between two of his best friends in a saloon on Washington and Clay Streets. After this tragedy, Susan spent most of her time at Cedar Grove until the death of her mother in 1919, at which time she sold both The Corners and Cedar Grove and then lived with relatives until she died in 1930. During the Great Depression, this house was used at various times as an apartment, a duplex, and a rooming house. In 1959, Dr. Robert and Susan Ivy bought the house for $8,000 and put about $50,000 worth of remodeling into it.
Joe Trahan and Macy Whitney recently purchased the property from Macy’s parents, Bettye and Cliff Whitney. The Whitney’s purchased the private residence in 1985 and added 11 rooms over a period of years to make the Bed and Breakfast what it is today. They furnished the house with antiques, some they owned previously and the rest bought at auctions and antique stores.
The property across the street and the lot and building to our right, known as The Galleries, also belong to The Corners Mansion estate. Across the street there once stood a home owned by one of Susan's brothers, George Klein. This house, known as the “Bellevue”, was built around 1876 in the “steamboat gothic” style of architecture and burned over 50 years ago. The structure that is now standing on the property was originally the kitchen and servants quarters for George Klein’s house. The two story “Galleries” building now located on this property was completed in October of 1996. The Galleries were designed to duplicate the look and style of The Corners. The Galleries, has four guest rooms each with a spectacular view, fireplaces, antiques, marble baths, whirlpool tubs, sitting area in room.
When this house was built, the Mississippi River’s east bank reached the bottom of the hill where the railroad tracks are now located at the end of Klein Street. Now, the front veranda of the main house and The Galleries’ porches overlook the Mississippi River in the distance with a panoramic view of the Mississippi River valley.
The floor plan of The Corners is modeled from the floor plan of Cedar Grove, but on a smaller scale. The architectural style is a combination of Greek revival and Victorian with Italianate features. The pierced columns on The Corners are unique to Vicksburg. They are hand made and each column depicts a motif of love and marriage (hearts and shamrocks). The iron fence was made especially for this house in Pennsylvania and brought down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. The gardens are intact as they were originally designed and laid out; even the brick walkways are original. They are called “parterre” gardens, the French word meaning a division of earth. The historic significance of these gardens was one of the reasons the home was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bricks on the house were made locally out of clay and fired at low temperatures, so they are soft. There is a signature brick of the brick mason underneath our Historic Register Plaque at the front door. The house reflects the Victorian period and features a combination of Greek revival and Italianate architectural styles. The front entrance is classic Greek Revival, while the supports under the eaves and the cast iron cornices over the windows, on the side of the house, are particularly Victorian Italiante.
All the floors are heart of pine, some boards are 20 ft. long, and by the look of the narrow rings- some may have come from trees almost 200 years old when cut. They were originally carpeted as is apparent by the marks left by the carpet tracks. The center hallway is designed to capture the breeze with its high ceilings. The doors can be opened on either end of the hall, the transom lights and the side lights opened so that a breeze can circulate throughout the house. Cool air could be trapped in the walls to further insulate the house in hot weather, but now the entire property is centrally air conditioned. Each room has its own private bath, TV, and high speed internet access (an improvement made by the new Owner’s, Joe and Macy)
Take exit 1A off Interstate 20 and turn left on Klein Street. Our guest registration is half way down the block on the right hand side.
Refer to www.thecorners.com for rates and availability. We are located minutes from downtown Vicksburg.
VISA ,MASTERCARD ,DISCOVER ,CASH ,OTHER
NON SMOKING, KID FRIENDLY, HANDICAPPED ACCESS, PARKING AVAILABLE, FOOD AVAILABLE
This Page Has Been Viewed 2490 Times